Tuesday, November 9, 2010

SEOTS No. 6: "I'm on the pursuit of happiness, and I know, everything that shines ain't always gonna be gold."

So I quoted Kid Cudi, sue me.
 
I like money. I like having money. I like spending money. I like saving money. I like money in my bank account.
 
I want good food. I want a tablet notebook. I want a Toyota Tacoma one day. I want a puppy and a kitty. I want a 2 bedroom apartment near the ocean. All of these things are pretty materialistic, and they all cost money.
 
However, in order to get money, I've gotta get to work. Right now, a job is a job is a job is a job. Having a job equals having money. I am a young, twenty something student, and I have a job. I go to work every morning for 8 hours, then I go to school, and then I go home. I don't necessarily like my job, nor do I see myself doing this for a long time. As long as it pays my rent, car payments, car insurance, electricity, phone, and internet bills, i'm okay (food and gas would be nice too). A job is a job is a job is a job.
 
But recently, I've been hustling. I've been hustling to track down whatever kind of career paths I can find. I want to write. I want to write so bad. I finally found something I could probably do for the rest of my life. I can see myself as a writer, and it's something obtainable. Being a writer is generally not a lucrative field, but I feel it can give me the sort of happiness I seek. The happiness I want includes time to spend with family, a small family of my own someday, and an opportunistic educational future for my children. And even though these things are not necessarily materialistic, they do indirectly require money. If I want to start a family, I need money to raise a child. Diapers, formula, toys, babysitter charges and other miscellaneous items all cost money. Free time to spend with my family also costs money. I need to make ENOUGH money during work hours to compensate for time off. Sending my children to private schools also costs a lot of money.
 
I believe that it is so important not to let money decide what you dream about. Just because you don't have enough money doesn't mean you can never attain your dreams. The hustle and the connections we make to reach our goals is more important than any amount of money. So many people are concerned with everyone around them - what they SHOULD be doing instead of what they COULD be doing. Have you ever asked yourself what other people your age are doing? Have you ever doubted what you ARE doing? I have. I know many people that have mimicked their peers because they believe it's what they should be doing, when in reality, they could be doing so much more for themselves and for others around them. Why limit yourself? Why limit your happiness? Why should you blindly follow everyone else's standards, instead of setting your own?
 
Happiness doesn't exist in following anyone else's path but your own. Happiness doesn't come from an iPhone, a truck, or a size 00 waist. Happiness comes from the freedom of thought and action. Keep going until you can't go anymore, and don't let anyone stop your happiness. If you're worried that happiness is not the only thing you need, you shouldn't. When you are happy, positivity will come through you, and everything will seem to take care of itself.
 
I got a friendly reminder of happiness last Saturday. I went to grab an acai bowl and was enjoying it, when I saw the happiest couple. Two women were sitting outside enjoying their breakfast, and chatting. One woman leaned over and planted a kiss on the cheek of the other, and grabbed her hand and smiled warmly. There was a small moment of silence, and a lingering look that spoke volumes. It seemed to say that she could see no other, and no one else mattered. The whole scene probably lasted 5 seconds, but it still was a beautiful reminder that you don't have to fit in the perfect mold to find true happiness. On my drive home after enjoying that delicious bowl of yumminess and witnessing that little peek of sun through the clouds, I then saw an old man (he looked like a bum to be honest) riding his bicycle on the other side of the road. He had some leaves or produce on the back of his bike, and he was grinning a somewhat toothless smile ear to ear. On the front of his bike was a sign made out of cardboard. From a distance, I thought it was a "please help" sign, or a "Homeless, donations please" sign, but I was surprised when it only said "God Bless". Even though my thoughts on god or "God" or any religious community is still up in the air (hah), it warmed my heart to see this old man so happy. Happiness is for everyone, no matter race, gender, sexual preference, social status, or beyond.
 
The moral of the story is that I encourage everyone to seek their happiness. Keep chasing that dream, no matter what people say or do, and work hard at it. Break boundaries, break molds, feel uncomfortable. That's the only way any of us will ever grow.
 
"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got." - Anthony Robbins
 
PinkStar26

No comments:

Post a Comment